Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Writing a Novel: Revision

There are so many levels of revision. The big picture is what I'm looking at right now.

Does Chapter one lead into Chapter two? I don't mean "lead into" in an obvious way. Sometimes the two chapters don't have anything to do with each other and it's juxtaposition that I'm going for.

Sometimes it's a resting spot, so the reader can regroup and get ready for what comes next.

Sometimes I'm working hard to supply all the components of plot that I'm going to need later on in the story.

I'm often working on the shape of the chapter. If it's going up and up and up, I can't tack on another scene at the end that spins it downward. It must go up and up and up, then cut.

It's deeply satisfying work but I do wonder if it will be finished in time for my end of June deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment