Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

So You Think You Can Write -- Round #3

Anybody can write fiction, right? It’s a story. We tell stories since the time we are old enough to talk. “He took my bike.” That’s a story.

Not true.

Fiction is different. Show don’t tell.

It’s dialogue.

It’s action unfolding in front of our eyes.

It’s the banana seat or as Raymond Carver taught us, “the telling detail.”

It’s a spell cast over the reader so the present moment becomes something else.

Who cast the best spell this week? I asked of each entry. Which one made me feel I’d stepped into the story at just the right moment? Whose story could I not put down? These were the questions I asked until I came to the clear winner, for me. That’s it, I thought when I’d finished Norris-Jones’ story. That’s the one.

To read Everybody Hurts simply go to this link.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/writing-contest/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment