Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Taking the Next Step: Ebooks

Let's talk book covers. It was fun to go into the bookstore with my friend and graphic designer, Dee. She began by asking me, "What stands out for you?" What followed was the kind of discussion you always dream of having where you get to match the cover to the content of your book.

Authors rarely get a say into their covers and maybe there's a good reason for it, but yesterday I couldn't find one. With Dee's knowledge of design and my knowledge of what was in the book, we came up with a terrific concept. Since each entry in the memoir will be its own 99 cent book, we needed a design that we could use about twelve times, altering the image and background colour.

Since, the book is about the back-to-the-land movement, I'm favouring 70s colours like lime green which was the colour of my parents' walls. Very 70s. Not only were the walls lime green, they were textured with a very sharp gritty substance, so whenever anyone scraped against the wall, they left some blood behind. But that's another story.

So, I'm feeling good about the process so far. I've got design and production covered. Last night I wrote up some of the information at the front of the book such as the disclaimer and copyright information and a list of contributors. I wrote up the author biography. The memoir is edited and ready to go. Dee will deliver the cover as a JPEG.

But what then? How do I convert the doc. file to the necessary ebook formats? Today, I discovered that Mobi is the format for Amazon and ePub is the format for Sony, B&N, and Apple. I need to find out a lot more about conversion. Who is doing it and what does it cost? Online, I found a company out of England that will give me both formats for a total of $160. They called it their standard conversion package.

I checked into Bookbaby which starts with a $99 fee, but adds on $39 for converting a PDF and then about $20 for an ISBN number and an annual fee of $19. But it wasn't the money that made me nervous; they take over the process too much for me. They convert the file but they also "deliver" it. Then they also collect your money for you. So when Amazon pays the author royalites, it goes to Bookbaby. Bookbaby doesn't take a cut of it, but they do charge an annual fee. It's not the kind of arrangement I'm looking for.

I know I can deliver the book to Amazon myself and cut out the middleman. But how?

I'm still exploring all my options, but I'll let you know what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment