Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Why just talk about ebooks? Why not do it?

I've decided to test the ebook waters. I'm going to take one of my memoirs called My Father's Parrot and sell it on Amazon for $1.99. It's 2000 words in length. It's part of a series I'm writing called, Back to the Land and it's a humorous account of how my father hauled his family out of city-life and into rural Ontario.

It starts with my father's purchase of a parrot and his dreams to give this parrot a better life. In order to build the bird an aviary, we pack up everything and head north where land is cheaper and the living ain't so easy.

But before I get ahead of myself, I thought I'd document all the steps I'm taking to learn about ebook publishing. Like anything, it's going to require some work. Here's what I've done so far:

Step 1: I've decided to go through Kindle Direct Publishing, Amazon's self-publishing site. It is full of good information.
Step 2: Talked to my friend who is a graphic designer and asked her if she'll help design a cover. According to everything I've read, covers are very important. I need a brand, a cover that my readers will recognize and say, "Ah, the latest chapter of that Back to the Land saga -- that crazy father and all his zany ideas."
Step 3: Looked at Amanda Hocking's covers. Not that my memoir is about vampires (although there are plenty of bats) but Hocking's got the right idea when it comes to thumbnails, branding, and colour.
Step 4: Booked myself an author photo shoot with a fabulous photographer: Ryan Rock. Also a friend!
Step 5: Edited my manuscript. I was very fortunate to have My Father's Parrot edited by Pam Chamberlain who put together the anthology, Country Roads, and who is currently putting together an anthology about animals and their importance in our lives.
Step 6: Started to make notes about formatting the book. I've been reading about Amazon's requirements.

So, already this project of mine is involving a graphic designer, a photographer, an editor, and me. Oh, and I can't forget, the friend who initially sent me all these wonderful articles that got me excited about ebooks, so that makes five people so far. It really does take a village! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment